Frozen spinach is a staple in our house. I buy it in bags full of frozen spinach balls, about 2oz (60gr) each,
Most cooks have a few things that are staples; reliable foods that everyone likes and can be prepared quickly.
This has been one of our fall and winter classics for more years than I care to remember. It goes together in minutes and is chock-a-block with healthy foods…. including the spinach.
We have it as a side dish, but with a bit of bread and a salad or omelet it can also make a light lunch.
If you have any left, cut it into squares and have it for breakfast.
This is a very versatile dish…..
Mock Spinach Soufflé
Preparation and cooking time: 40 minutes
- 8oz (250gr) frozen spinach
- 2 eggs (substitute 3 egg whites)
- 1/2 cup plain or Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Thaw spinach (use microwave, hot water or saucepan) and squeeze out excess moisture.
- In medium bowl beat eggs well,
- Add yogurt, Parmesan and nutmeg. Mix well.
- Add spinach and mix well.
- Lightly oil a small baking dish. (I use a 7 inch square glass baking dish.)
- Spoon in spinach and bake at 400F (200C) for 30 minutes or until set.
- Remove and serve directly from baking dish.
Looking for more recipe ideas? Have a look at my internet ‘cook book’, Easy Gourmet Dinners. It’s designed to let you flip the pages – like a real book.