Diablo or deviled usually means spicy, often hot and always full of rich, complex flavors.
These zesty pork chops are a perfect example.
Feel free to make them as hot as you like……
The ones I get are quite thin. You may need to increase the cooking time if you are using very thick ones.
Pork Chops Diablo
Preparation and cooking time: 30 minutes
- 2 – 4 pork chops, depending on size, 12oz (350gr) total
- 1 onion
- 2 tbs chili powder
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 8oz (250ml) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 125ml) beef stock (broth)
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tbs cornstarch (maizena) dissolved in 2 tbs water
- Roughly chop onion.
- Combine flour and 1 tbs chili powder in plastic food bag.
- Add pork chops and toss to coat.
- In nonstick skillet, large enough to hold the chops, heat 2 tsp oil over medium-high heat.
- Add chops and sauté about 3 minutes per side, until lightly browned.
- Remove and set aside.
- Add remaining 2 tsp oil and the remaining 1 tbs chili powder.
- Sauté for 1 minute, then add onions.
- Sauté about 5 minutes until onion starts to brown.
- Add tomato sauce, broth, Worcestershire, mustard and bring to a boil.
- Add cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Reduce heat to low and return chops to pan.
- Cover, and simmer chops until done, about 10 minutes, turning once.
- Serve chops with sauce and onions.
The new menu is out, with all recipes and complete shopping list. Easy Weekly Menus, for your choice of three free menus.