I love smoked foods – ham, turkey, pork chops….
They are such a great summer food. They cook quickly, are full of flavor and pair well with salads.
This is a southern classic, moved to the barbecue grill. The glazed is boiled to reduce it a bit, then used both to baste the ham and as a finishing sauce.
As the ham is already fully cooked, this is a very quick dish.
Grilled Ham with Red Eye Glaze
Preparation and cooking time: 15 minutes
- 2 slices ham, 1/2 – 3/4″ thick (1.5cm), about 12oz total weight (350gr)
- 1/2 cup coffee (save some from breakfast or use instant – make it strong)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbs whole grain mustard
- 2 tbs cider vinegar
- Mix sugar, coffee, mustard and vinegar in a small saucepan.
- Boil for 5 minutes, reducing by half.
- Cook ham on the barbecue grill, 5 – 7 minutes per side, basting with the Redeye Glaze until ham is a lovely mahogany color.
- Or sauté in olive oil in nonstick skillet for same amount of time – until it starts to brown. Pour any remaining glaze over the ham and serve.
- As ham is cooked there is no problem using basting sauce to finish.
Serve with simple Grilled Potatoes, Carrots and Onions for a relaxed ‘dinner from the grill.’