In the winter I do these in the oven and they’re very, very good.
In summer I do them on the grill – and they are wonderful. There’s just something about the flavors and slight crispiness that comes with grilling that really brings out the best in vegetables.
Plus they are cooked with a minimum of fat, – so very healthy.
Roasted Carrots, Onions and Potatoes
Preparation and cooking time: 35 minutes
- 2 – 3 medium carrots
- 1 red onion
- 2 medium potatoes about 12oz (350gr) total
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp sea salt or regular salt
- Peel carrots and onion.
- Slice the carrots in half lengthwise and then in half or thirds the short way.
- Slice onion in half, then each half in thirds.
- Slice potatoes in half the long way, then in half again. Then slice in half or thirds the short way.
- In a medium bowl mix oil and vinegar.
- Add vegetables and toss well to coat.
- To Grill on barbecue: Put into ‘grill pan’ (a metal or foil pan dedicated to use on the grill) or onto a mesh grill pan (the idea is not to have the stuff fall through the grate into the fire….) Cook over medium heat 20 – 30 minutes, until vegetables have a nice color and potatoes are done. Serve.
- To Roast in oven: Put vegetables on a baking sheet with a lip or in a shallow roasting pan. Bake in 420F (215C) oven for 30 minutes or until done, stirring occasionally. Vegetables should be lightly browned and tender. Remove, sprinkle with sea salt and serve.