A proper Italian pasta dish is lots of pasta dressed with a little sauce. The pasta is the star.
I love proper Italian pasta.
My hips do too…..
To fulfill my love for pasta and still fit into my jeans I add lots of vegetables and a bit of protein….
Getting a thick slice of cold, cooked ham from the deli makes putting together a hearty salad for dinner a snap.
And basil, green beans and tomatoes are the stars of my garden.
Here, it all comes together with a lower fat/calorie dressing of half mayonnaise and half Greek Yogurt.
Ham, Green Bean, Basil and Tomato Pasta Salad
Preparation and cooking time: 25 minutes
- 1 1/4 cups pasta, bite-size – fusilli, rigatoni, penne
- 1 tbs olive oil, for salads
- 10oz (300gr) deli-style (baked) ham
- 6oz (175gr) green beans
- 1/2 cup (3oz, 90gr) cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (2oz, 60ml) mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup (2oz, 60ml) plain or Greek yogurt
- 1 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 2 tbs fresh chives, snipped
- 2 tbs fresh basil, snipped
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain, rinse in cold water and toss with olive oil.
- Top and tail beans, cut into 1 inch lengths.
- Fill a medium saucepan 2/3 full of water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add beans and blanch for 3 minutes.
- While the beans cook fill a large bowl or pan 3/4 full of cold water.
- When the beans are done, drain and dump into the cold water. Swirl around until cool then drain and set aside.
- Snip herbs.
- Cut cherry tomatoes in half.
- Cut ham into inch squares (or cubes depending on how thick) – or larger if you prefer.
- In small bowl whisk mayonnaise, yogurt, mustard and lemon juice.
- Put pasta, ham, beans, herbs and tomatoes in large salad bowl.
- Add mayonnaise dressing and toss lightly to combine – a tongs works well. Serve.
For more warm weather pasta salad, check out the Pasta and Grain Salad collection at Easy Weekly Menus