There are some things that are only eaten in summer at our house: sweet corn, lettuce salads, green beans, fresh, raw tomatoes…..
These things are all best eaten freshly picked (as possible) in their season.
Cucumbers are another.
I love cucumber salad and make it at least once a week in July and August.
I can’t imagine eating in in January. Just wouldn’t be right.
I have several different cucumber salad recipes…. This is my favorite.
If you have a favorite, leave the link in the comments…. I love trying knew salads!
This is my mother’s recipe, as made by her mother…. Probably German in origin.
Old-Fashioned Cucumber Salad
Preparation and cooking time: 10 minutes plus 1 hour
- 2 – 3 cucumbers
- 1 tbs salt
- 2 tbs sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tbs fresh chives, snipped
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Peel cucumber and thinly slice, using a box slicer, food processor or mandolin.
- Put 1/3 of the cukes in a deep bowl, sprinkle 1/3 salt.
- Repeat twice.
- Place a small plate or bowl, that will rest directly on the cucumbers, on top. Add a weight of some sort to add pressure to the cukes, and let sit for an hour.
- Drain, rinse lightly and squeeze dry.
- Add remaining ingredients, mix well.
- Serve. This gets better the next day.
This is part of the menu plan for this week….
Do you plan your menus for the week?
Menu planning can save both money and your sanity…..
Try Easy Weekly Menus. It’s a free menu planner offering 3 options.
Make your life easier – check it out.