Cooking on skewers is fun and easy. With a little planning….
Do the longer-cooking vegetables on separate skewers so everything is done at the same time.
Traditional kebabs are served with a cucumber / yogurt sauce called Tzatziki.
These kebabs have an oriental flavor and are served with Warm Peanut Sauce rather than Yogurt Sauce.
Teriyaki Turkey Kebabs
Preparation and cooking time: 45 minutes
- 10oz (300gr) turkey tenderloin
- 8 large cherry tomatoes
- 8 large button or cremini mushrooms
- 1 medium zucchini (courgette), about 8″ (20cm)
- 1 large red onion
- 1 orange or red bell pepper
- 3 – 4 tbs Teriyaki sauce/marinade
- 8 skewers, if wooden soak in water
- Warm Peanut Sauce
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 2 tbs snipped fresh chives
- 1 tbs snipped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- Cut turkey into chunks, put into a bowl with the Teriyaki sauce. Stir to coat.
- Cut pepper in half, then each half into 4 squares.
- Cut onion into 6 or 8 wedges.
- Clean mushrooms.
- Slice zucchini into 1/2″ (1.25cm) slices.
- Add pepper, mushrooms, onions and zucchini to bowl with turkey and stir gently.
- Let marinate 15 – 60 minutes.
- When ready to cook:
- Put turkey, mushrooms and tomatoes onto 4 skewers, alternating.
- Put peppers, onions and zucchini on the other 4 skewers, alternating.
- Start to cook the vegetable-only skewers first, over indirect heat with the cover closed.
- After about 7 minutes, lift cover and turn vegetables, moving over direct heat.
- Add turkey skewers over direct heat.
- Cook for 6 – 10 minutes, or until turkey is done.
- Warm Peanut Sauce:
- Heat oils in small saucepan.
- Add chives and chili powder and sauté briefly.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring well to combine.
- Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
This is Saturday night dinner from the Weekly Menu Plan for August 19.
Cooking a healthy dinner every night is easy – once you have the plan!